Motorcycle Accident Frequently Asked Questions

If the accident left you dazed and confused, our law firm is here for you

Some of the most challenging cases  the motorcycle accident lawyers handle at NLE Law involve motorcycle crashes. Bikers are some of the most vulnerable people on the road, and they often suffer catastrophic injuries. You may be recovering from a traumatic brain injury - or mourning the loss of a loved one who passed away in an accident.

Free Case Consultation

The crash may have happened in an instant, but the effects can last a lifetime. You may be wondering what to do or where to turn. That's why we've compiled this list of commonly asked questions about motorcycle accidents. We hope this information will help guide you down the road ahead.

Although these answers should give you a general idea of how to proceed, every motorcycle accident is unique. That's why it's so important to contact us right away. We'd be more than happy to discuss your accident and make you aware of your legal rights, free of charge. Call (206) 623-7520 right away.

Do I really need to see a doctor after my crash? I feel fine.

You absolutely do. Even if you were lucky enough to walk away from a motorcycle accident with seemingly minor injuries, you might have internal injuries that aren't immediately obvious - and could be life-threatening if you don't receive immediate medical attention. And if you have a traumatic brain injury, the sooner you know what you're dealing with, the sooner you can take steps to move forward.

Seeing a doctor right after the accident also helps to preserve your legal right to compensation. If you wait to receive treatment, an insurance company may argue that your injuries weren't serious, or that they were sustained after the accident. Seeing a doctor can help confirm that your injuries were sustained in a motorcycle accident, which is an important step toward filing a claim.

Return to Top

Can an attorney help me get my medical bills paid?

Yes. Remember, the motorist who hurt you should be responsible for your medical bills in the end, but the insurance company won't pay out until you've completed your treatment. In the meantime, you can use your health insurance, if you have it, to pay your medical bills - to a point. However, your insurance may still have deductibles and co-pays that you are responsible for, and it may not cover all of the procedures you need.

If you don't have health insurance, or if it doesn't cover all of your treatment, we may be able to help you get treatment through an attorney's lien. This is an agreement with your healthcare provider in which they agree to treat you now and accept payment later, once you recover compensation from the insurance company.

In addition to helping with medical bills, NLE Law can help you find the best treatment. We have relationships with many of the best doctors and specialists in the Puget Sound area, and when you retain us, we'll work with you to find the right providers to help you make a full recovery.

Return to Top

How can you prove that the driver who hit me was at fault?

Depending on the circumstances of your accident, there are several steps we can take to prove fault on the part of the motorist who hit you. For instance, if distracted driving was a factor, we may be able to review cell phone records to show that he or see was texting or talking on the phone at the time of the accident. If the driver fell asleep at the wheel, we'll look at the accident scene - typically, there are no skid marks - and consult witnesses who may testify that the driver was very tired.

In some cases, there may be parties other than the other driver who can be held accountable for your accident as well. For instance, if poor road conditions contributed to your accident, we may be able to file a claim against the municipal government responsible for maintaining the road. Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate your case to make sure we are exploring every possible avenue of compensation.

Return to Top

The insurance company denied my claim. Now what?

You need an attorney on your side right away. Insurance companies are often very difficult when dealing with motorcyclists, and they think they can reduce or deny your compensation in order to limit their costs. If your injuries weren't your fault, we'll bring the insurance back to the negotiating table. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit to put added pressure on them to do the responsible thing and pay. Note that even after we file a lawsuit, we can - and often do - negotiate a settlement before trial.

Return to Top

How long will it take to resolve my case?

That depends on the nature of the accident and the extent of your injuries. In cases where liability is not disputed and the insurance company is cooperative, we may be able to negotiate a settlement in just a few months. However, motorcycle accidents frequently lead to heavily contested cases that may go all the way to trial. Once we've filed a lawsuit, it may be one to two years, sometimes even longer, before a trial date is set.

We understand that going through a long, drawn-out legal process to get compensation for your injuries can be intimidating. That's why we'll be there with you every step of the way. We advance all expenses related to pursuing your case, so you'll never have to pay us out of pocket.

Return to Top

When should I accept a settlement offer from the insurance company?

Not until you've completed your medical treatment and consulted an attorney. An early settlement offer from an insurance company is usually a "lowball" offer that may not even come close to paying the full cost of your accident. That's why you should have us review the settlement offer and, if necessary, continue negotiations with the insurance before you accept.

If your accident happened to involve multiple insurance carriers, accepting a settlement is even more dangerous. That's because taking an offer from one insurance company can affect the others' liability. NLE Law has the experience needed to review all applicable insurance policies and make sure you are getting full compensation for your injuries.

Return to Top

Washington State Association for Justice Eagle ProgramWashington State Association for JusticeBrain Injury Association of AmericaWashington State Bar AssociationBrain Injury Alliance WashingtonOregon Spinal Cord Injury Connection

NLE Law / Nelson, Langer, Engle PLLC

12055 15th Ave NE
Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98125
Phone: (206) 623-7520 Fax: (206) 622-7068

NLE Law / Nelson, Langer, Engle PLLC

705 South 9th Street #303
Tacoma, WA 98405
Phone: (253) 343-6043